This site is all about you and the book you long to write.
- You want to make a difference in the world. You want to share what you’ve learned, so that the lives of others will be better.
- You want to share your wisdom with huge numbers of people, or maybe just a handful of your closest family and friends.
- You are older, or middle-aged, or younger. You have lived through something, or discovered something.
- Maybe you are a grandparent who wants to tell your story and leave a legacy for your family and those yet to be born. You want people to be excited to read it. You want those pages to be filled with wisdom and hope, not just a long list of facts.
- Maybe you are a born storyteller, and you have wit and wisdom to share, but you want it to be something bigger than just a collection of anecdotes.
- Maybe you are launching a charity or support group, and you want to share the nitty gritty of what you’ve been through, because you know how much that would have helped you if only such a book had been out there 2 or 3 or 10 years ago.
- Maybe you have lived through something, made mistakes and survived, overcome challenges — and you want to help a younger version of yourself avoid some of the pitfalls. You want to share hope and possibilities, and perhaps the occasional warning.
- Maybe you are a thought leader or a speaker. You have discovered something about life in general, or a particular challenge that many people face. You want to pour it into a book so you can help a person more deeply, long after the two of you first connected. You also want to reach far more people than you could ever meet face-to-face. And you want that wisdom to go on helping people for generations to come.
Take a moment now…
- Like our Facebook page to get tips and updates.
- Download our special gift, a mind map to help you write a personal story that gets Read, Recommended and Remembered.
(These pages will open in separate windows in your browser, so you can come back here and keep reading.)
We are authors/speakers Belinda Pollard and Tanya Arnold. We live in Queensland, one of the most beautiful parts of Australia, and share what we’ve learned with people around the world. Books have changed our lives — both the ones we’ve written ourselves, the ones we’ve worked on for others, and the ones we’ve read.
We are here to help you become the writer you were born to be.
We want to help you get that book out of you and into the world.
We encourage you to write your life NOW rather than later. This is not because we are in the pressure-pressure-pressure success-success-success crowd. We are always gentle and realistic about life’s little (and big) messes.
- We meet people all the time who don’t feel qualified to be “a writer”, as though that is some special unicorn. If you have the passion, you can become a writer. Your story is unique and valuable. We can help you write it in a way that will release your heart, convey your wisdom, and help other people. You are enough. Write it now.
- We know you are busy. Our lives are crazy too. And yet we look back in amazement to discover that after dithering for years and thinking we couldn’t possibly do it, we have produced books in the midst of bedlam. That’s how we know that you can do it too. Write it now.
- We know this exact feeling: “I haven’t finished living through this thing yet. I need to get to the end and then write the book.” But we never really get to the end; there’s always something else. And readers don’t need gurus who know it all. They need fellow travellers who are a little further along and can show them the way. You don’t have to have “arrived”. You might write another book (or two!) after this one with the next stages of your journey. Write it now.
Meet your coaches
Book coaching with Belinda Pollard
I came to the career of books and publishing rather by surprise in the mid-1990s, after beginning as a journalist and then following my heart into studies in theology. Theology degree in hand, I felt uncertain after four years out of the workforce. An invitation to apply for a position with a Sydney theological publisher was the last thing I expected!
The love of books was not new, however. I learned to read over my mother’s shoulder during the nightly story time and gradually devoured every book on the family shelves. I have always worked with words, and people fascinate me: I love to hear their personal stories. It was a sign of things to come when the very first book I edited for that Sydney publisher in 1995 was a biography!
These days, I am a publishing consultant, book editor, book coach, blogger and speaker. Put simply, I help people write and publish books. Of the dozens of books I’ve edited, many of my favourites are self-help books rich in personal stories with elements of memoir. I love helping writers like you discover the often-surprising book that hides inside their personal experiences.
I love encouraging many thousands of writers from around the world each month over at my publishing blog, smallbluedog.com.
I’m a writer, too. My latest book, Dogged Optimism: Lessons in Joy from a Disaster-Prone Dog began as a few amusing stories about a dog and became something unexpected. It turned into a book of encouraging life lessons that has won two awards and become an Amazon bestseller, and to be honest, I’m still a little startled. My mystery-thriller Poison Bay — Book 1 in the Wild Crimes series — has also won two awards. But I can assure you, I was once where you are now: wondering how to “finish that book”, and whether anyone would ever want to read it!
As for my “spare” time, I love mountain hiking despite bad knees and a fear of heights, and am chief ball thrower for a beautiful, socially-awkward red and white dog. And of course, I work on my next book.
Find out more about my BOOK COACHING by clicking here.
Life coaching with Tanya Arnold
If you had asked me ten years ago if I wanted to be an author, I would have just laughed and responded with, “Writers are smart and good at English, and that’s not me!”
When I was 9 years old, my family separated and consequently, I changed schools. A few months after adjusting to my new school, I completed a standardised English test and the results were publicised on a notice board for all to see. At my previous school, my grades were always above average and I felt quite confident and excited to see how well I went. I was startled, when my results said I was below the average in my class. It was at that moment I decided I was terrible at English and that I hated it. So I stopped trying. I went about life avoiding writing like the plague, until it caught up with me.
In my early twenties, I began working for the Queensland Government. After 7 years of employment, I developed my writing skills and was writing correspondence, business reports and project plans on a daily basis. As I gained greater confidence with my writing, I considered writing a book of my own. Life had shown me that I could write and that I was a good writer.
In 2011, I had the profound realisation that I wanted to make a difference in the lives of others. I wanted to help people turn their dreams into a reality. Often, I would meet people who had great ideas, but were terrified of taking the necessary steps towards realising their life goals. I knew, that if I wanted to inspire others to follow their heart, I needed to get honest with myself and take the necessary action towards achieving my goals of becoming:
- an author
- the Pupcake Queen – teaching dog lovers around the world how to celebrate their dogs with nourishing and doggylicious cake
- a speaker
- a coach
- a mother.
Fast-forward and I am happy to say that I am following my heart. I am the Pupcake Queen, sharing the pupcake love with dog lovers around the world through speaking and writing. I have published my first book, Pupcakes: Honour the Divine Dog and am a mother to a beautiful daughter.
What’s next for me? Helping great people, like you, achieve their dreams.
Find out more about my LIFE COACHING by clicking here.